The Gap Visa Card from Synchrony Bank offers a traditional first-purchase discount, but true brand fans will enjoy the ability to earn rewards points for every purchase and easily reach elite loyalty status, which comes with even more rewards and shopping perks.
If you regularly shop at Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, and Athleta, this card will graciously reward your brand loyalty. But because it’s a Visa card, you can use it at more places than the less flexible GapCard, and it will help you earn a few more rewards.
If you can get other credit cards, this one shouldn’t be your primary rewards card. But either way, if you’re still building up your credit and diligent about paying off card balances each month, consider adding this store card to your wallet to save money on your future purchases at stores owned by Gap Inc.
Starting in June 2022, Gap Good Rewards is moving the credit card program from Synchrony Visa to Barclays Mastercard.1
- Earn rewards on purchases at popular clothing chains
- Easy bonus points for extra tasks
- Access to more discounts and shopping offers
- High APR
- Low rewards rate on non-Gap purchases
- Restrictions on how you can redeem rewards
- Earn rewards on purchases at popular clothing chains: You’ll get a good amount of points each time you shop at Gap and any other stores owned by Gap Inc. (Old Navy, Banana Republic, and Athleta), which is a competitive offer for a clothing-store credit card. All those points can add up for discounts on future purchases.
- Easy bonus points for extra tasks: Do a few simple things, like registering for electronic statements, and you can get up to 4,000 extra points in your rewards account, which is equal to $40 off a future purchase. More about that is also in the Earning Points & Rewards section below.
- Access to more benefits and shopping offers: Cardholders may feel a little extra special because of perks like a birthday gift and additional saving and earning opportunities. You just have to watch your email for news about upcoming offers.
- High APR: Store cards are known for having high interest rates, and this card is no different. The high purchase APR makes it absolutely crucial you pay off your balance in full each month, so don’t shop till you drop. Just buy what you can afford.
- Low rewards rate on non-Gap purchases: You only get 1 point per dollar you spend at places outside the Gap Inc. stores, like at gas stations or grocery stores. The option to earn points this way is nice considering it’s a store card, but that’s not a high earning rate compared to general cash-back cards.
- Restrictions on how you can redeem rewards: You’ll have to wait until you’ve earned $5 worth of rewards to redeem points, and you can only use them for more purchases at Gap and its sister stores.
Earning Points and Rewards
You’ll get 5 points for every $1 spent in stores or online at Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, and Athleta. That’s basically like getting 5% of your money back to use for discounts on future purchases. Plus, since this is a Visa card, you can also use it outside the store network, and you’ll get 1 point per $1 spent when the card is used that way (including via PayPal and Afterpay). Points will expire if your account has no purchase activity for 12 straight months.
The rewards are in line with what similar apparel-branded credit cards offer right now, although store card value really comes down to whether or not you like the brand. Gap’s rewards allow for three membership statuses: Core, Enthusiast, and Icon. Here is how they compare.
|Less than $500 in purchases||$500 to $999 in purchases||$1,000 or more in purchases|
|125 bonus points every quarter you make a purchase||250 bonus points every quarter you make a purchase||500 bonus points every quarter you make a purchase|
|Free shipping with a $50 purchase||Free shipping with a $50 purchase||Free shipping with a $50 purchase|
|Free shipping with a $50 purchase||Free shipping with a $50 purchase|
|Two-month free subscription at obé Fitness||Three-month free subscription at obé Fitness|
|Create your own sale day once a year(15% off)|
There’s only one way to use reward points earned with the Gap Visa Card: pay for more Gap purchases. For every 500 points you earn, you’ll get $5 in rewards to spend at Gap or its sister stores. Multiple rewards may be issued each billing cycle, but you’ll get no more than $250 in rewards in any given month. If you spend enough to hit that limit, you’ll have to wait for any lingering rewards until the next month.
You can redeem rewards in stores by presenting your rewards certificate or redeem online or on the phone by sharing the reward code. Gap Visa Card rewards cannot be redeemed for statement credits or cash back or be used to purchase gift cards.
How to Get the Most out of This Card
Open this card when you have a large purchase (like before school starts for the kids or before the winter holidays), so you can maximize the 20% savings when you open and shop with your new credit card.
Once you have your card, connect your account to your email address, set up paperless billing, and make any non-Gap brand purchase within 30 days to rack up those 4,000 bonus points right away. Going forward, use this card for all purchases made within the Gap family of brands, and pay off the card balance each month. Strive to reach Silver status each year, which will give you the most shopping benefits and bonus points.
We recommend pairing this card with another that offers more than 1% back on everyday expenses, too. Yes, this card offers some earning flexibility, but there are cash-back cards that offer a better return on routine purchases like gas and groceries.
With this card or any rewards card, don’t fall into the temptation to spend more just to rack up rewards—especially if you can’t afford to pay off your balance in full each month. Interest charges can quickly wipe out any rewards you earn.
Gap Visa Card’s Other Features
Right out the gate, you’ll get these benefits with the Gap Visa Card:
- A birthday gift each year you make at least one in-store or online purchase
- Invitations to special cardmember events
Depending on your rewards level, you’ll also get:
- Free basic alterations for Banana Republic purchases
- Free 3-5 shipping for online purchases at the Gap Inc. family of stores
- A coupon good for one Choose Your Own Sale Day each year you hold Gap Silver status
- Access to a Gap Silver customer service hotline
The Gap Visa Card is issued by Synchrony Bank, and that’s the bank you’ll work with if you have issues or questions about your account. Synchrony Bank ranked ninth out of 11 in J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study. The bank scored 788 points on a 1,000 point scale—21 points below the national average of 809.2
To monitor your Gap Visa Card transactions and make payments, you can use the Synchrony mobile app. You can also manage the rewards you earn in your online Gap account or the Gap mobile app.
This is a pretty basic card when it comes to security features. Like many other cards these days, the Gap Visa card is protected by EMV chip card technology, and Synchrony has a zero-liability policy that means you won’t be responsible for unauthorized charges.
Synchrony also offers access to your credit scores, though it doesn’t offer credit report monitoring nor the ability to lock your card if it’s misplaced or stolen—features that are also becoming common among credit cards.
Gap Visa Card Fees
There are no unusual fees attached to this card, just standard ones for slip-ups like late payments and oddball transactions, like cash advances. You can use this Visa card abroad, but you’ll pay a 3% foreign transaction fee for that convenience. Overall, the most notable cost associated with the Gap Visa Card is the price you’ll pay for carrying a balance because the interest rate is high.