Once again, airline shopping portals have new promotions to earn bonus miles. This time around, you can earn up to 4,500 bonus miles on back-to-school shopping through August 15, 2022.
Bonuses from airline shopping portals are on top of the miles you’ll earn through the shopping portals and points earned on your credit card from the purchase. That means you’re triple-dipping on rewards with your online purchases.
Here’s a look at the bonus miles currently available from airline shopping portals.
Airline Shopping Portals Promotions
Southwest Airlines and United are offering similar promotions for the next month, with different bonus amounts and spending requirements. These promotions offer a progressive bonus based on a three-tier reward system. These promotions are not for any specific holiday. Instead, these shopping portal bonuses are listed as a “back-to-school bonus”.
Southwest Airlines Shopping Portal Promotion
Now through August 15, 2022, you can earn up to 2,000 bonus miles when shopping through the Rapid Rewards Shopping portal. There are three tiers to this promotion:
- Spend $125 through the shopping portal and earn 250 bonus miles (an extra 2x on your spending).
- Spend $300 through the shopping portal and earn 900 bonus miles (an extra 3x on your spending).
- Or spend $550 through the shopping portal and earn 2,000 bonus miles (around a 3.6x bonus on your spending).
United Airlines Shopping Portal Promotion
Now through August 15, 2022, you can earn up to 2,500 bonus miles when purchasing through the MileagePlus Shopping portal.
- Spend $100 through the shopping portal and earn 500 bonus miles (5x bonus miles).
- Spend $350 through the shopping portal and earn 1,500 bonus miles (4.3x bonus miles).
- Or spend $600 through the shopping portal and earn 2,500 bonus miles (4.2x bonus miles).
Delta, Alaska, and American Airlines Airlines Promotions
Delta, Alaska, and American Airlines are not participating in this round of promotions — at least not yet. You can still check the AAdvantage Shopping portal, Mileage Plan Shopping portal, and SkyMiles Shopping portal to see if there’s a specific sale you’re looking for. This week, some featured stores include:
- Saks Fifth Avenue
Key Terms and Conditions
- Both promotions run through August 15, 2022 at 11:59:59 pm ET.
- “Qualifying purchases” do not include returns, cancellations, shipping and handling, taxes, gift card or other cash equivalent purchases, and certain products that are not eligible for bonus points/miles.
- Allow up to 10 weeks after the promo end date for bonus award points/miles to post.
- Purchases during the bonus period are cumulative; you do not have to spend the full amount in one purchase or on a single day.
Getting a combined 4,500 bonus miles is one of the better promotions this year. But it requires a hefty $1,150 in spending. What back-to-school purchases will you be getting to earn your bonus miles?
A true points maximizer will also want to check a site like CashBackMonitor or Evreward to ensure there isn’t a better portal bonus for the same retailer. In situations where the total number of bonus points is comparable, earning Membership Rewards through Rakuten (formerly Ebates) may be the highest-value option for online purchases.
Also, it’s worth checking to see what other deals these portals are offering. Each shopping portal is different, and perhaps your portal will have special bonuses for the store you want to shop at.