American Express frequently sends out offers for members to enroll in their Pay Over Time feature. Frequently, these include promotional points offers of 10,000 Membership Rewards. But, recent American Express offers are for 20,000 bonus Membership Rewards when enrolling in Pay Over Time.
Let’s explain what Pay Over Time is and how to check if you’re targeted for this fantastic promotion.
What is Pay Over Time
Pay Over Time is an “extended payment plan” that allows American Express Card Members to revolve certain charges with interest. Amex describes this feature as “a convenient borrowing option that gives Card Members more flexibility to choose how and when they pay.” While flexibility is great when you need it, the interest rates are incredibly high.
The good news is that you only pay interest charges when you carry a balance. This means that as long as you pay off your balance in full, you can enroll in Pay Over Time and take advantage of the promotional offer without worrying about interest charges.
Pay Over Time is typically reserved for purchases of $100+. Additionally, your cards may be automatically enrolled for this feature — unless you opt out. Thus, it’s essential to stay on top of your card balance. Otherwise, you can end up with some hefty interest charges that negate any points earnings.
Pay Over Time 20,000 Bonus Points Offer
- Targeted members can earn 20,000 Membership rewards for enrolling in Amex’s Pay Over Time.
- This particular offer has an end date of May 25, 2022
- There are no fees to enroll or requirements to use the service.
- Bonus Membership Rewards will post within 8-12 weeks after enrollment is approved.
- Only select Membership Rewards-earning cards like the American Express® Gold Card are eligible.
- Make sure to check your email and traditional mail for the offer. Email subject lines may include:
- “You Qualify for a Flexible Payment Option”
- “You’ve Been Selected to Enroll in a Flexible Payment Option”
- “Congratulations, Card Member. You’ve Been Selected to Enroll in a Flexible Payment Option on Your Card.
- Or, you can check this link to see if you have any eligible offers.
How to Enroll and Un-enroll in Pay Over Time
If you’ve already enrolled, you might want to un-enroll in Pay Over Time so that sometime down the road you will hopefully be targeted for one of these promotions. Cardmembers who are already enrolled in Pay Over Time are not eligible for bonus offers.
Once you are sure you are not enrolled, you’ll want to wait for an offer to register for Pay Over Time. Amex will send an email, letter in the mail, or sometimes a pop up when you log into your Amex account letting you know you are eligible to receive a bonus when enrolling.
Sometimes American Express will send out emails or letters reminding you to enroll. However, some letters don’t offer additional Membership Rewards points. So, make sure to pay attention to the email so you don’t miss out.
Not sure how valuable Membership Rewards points are? Check out 5 Excellent Transfer Strategies for Amex Membership Rewards.
If you have been targeted for this Pay Over Time offer, don’t walk. Run! This is yet another incredible incentive from Amex that doesn’t involve much work or virtually zero risks.
20,000 extra Membership Rewards points alone are more than enough to outweigh the annual fee on some of these cards. Add in the crazy retention offers Amex has been handing out like candy, and it’s as good as paying members to keep their cards open. Make sure to check the link above to see if you are targeted. If you log in at the link and see something like “This promotion is either invalid or no longer available” then you were not targeted for the promotion.
Were you targeted for this 20,000 Membership Rewards points offer?