For frequent travelers, CLEAR is an excellent way to save time when going through the airport. Plus, there seem to always be promotions to take advantage of when getting a CLEAR membership.
This time, MileagePlus members get up to 15,000 United miles on a discounted CLEAR membership. Also, targeted American Express cardholders can get a 50% discount on a CLEAR membership. And don’t forget, there are several ways you can claim a free CLEAR membership—while still getting these perks. These promotions even work with reactivated existing memberships.
What is CLEAR?
If you’re not already familiar with CLEAR, here’s a synopsis. CLEAR is a service that has been around since 2010. CLEAR uses biometric data to verify your identity at airport security. Once confirmed—which takes as little as a few seconds—you’re escorted to the front of the TSA security line. That means speeding through security without having to wait in the standard lines.
In rare cases, CLEAR lines are longer than the regular security line or TSA PreCheck. But, my own experiences with CLEAR at the Denver and Seattle airports were fantastic, as I was (somehow) the only person in the line both times.
Although CLEAR is only available within the United States, it includes more than just airports. In fact, it supports services at 50+ stadiums and event centers as well. Here’s a full list of the locations where you can find a CLEAR kiosk:
Make sure to check out this post in AwardTravel 101 — our official Facebook community — to read about members’ experiences with CLEAR.
How to Get a CLEAR Membership for Free
The CLEAR membership usually costs $189 per year. However, there are various ways you can get your membership for free, or at least at a discounted rate.
First, here are all of the ways you can get CLEAR for free:
- United Global Services and Premier 1K members get complimentary CLEAR membership.
- Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion elites can also enjoy a free CLEAR membership.
- Cardmembers who hold The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express can enroll and use their card to pay for a CLEAR membership to get the fee reimbursed in the form of a statement credit. Make sure to enroll first, as enrollment is required for this specific benefit.
Discounted CLEAR Membership with Cards and Statuses
There are also a couple of options to pay a reduced rate for your CLEAR membership.
- United MileagePlus members can get an annual membership for just $119. Even better, you can drop that price to $109 if you have a United credit card or United Premier Silver, Gold, or Platinum elite status.
- Similarly, Delta SkyMiles members with Medallion elite status can get a discount on their CLEAR membership. Platinum, Gold, and Silver Medallion elite status members can get $70 off their CLEAR membership ($109 per year). Even general SkyMiles members can get $60 off their CLEAR membership ($119 per year).
- American Express® Green Card can also enroll to get up to $100 statement credit when paying for a CLEAR membership with your card. CLEAR’s promotional offer for MileagePlus members of $119 per year can be combined with this benefit. This means you will pay as little as $19 for your CLEAR membership this year.
With any of these promotions, don’t forget to cancel your CLEAR membership at the end of the year if you don’t want it to renew, or you will be charged the full annual rate of the membership.
United MileagePlus Members Get up to 15,000 Miles with CLEAR Membership
This promotion was available earlier this year. Now it’s back until July 9, and also includes an additional bonus for regular MileagePlus members.
United MileagePlus Premier members will get 15,000 United miles when signing up for a CLEAR membership before July 9, 2022. Non-elite MileagePlus members were left out of the last offer. But, this time around, MileagePlus members get 10,000 United miles when signing up for CLEAR. As covered above, United MileagePlus members can get CLEAR for $119 a year, and MileagePlus Premier members can get CLEAR for $109.
Simply get your CLEAR membership through this link to earn bonus United miles. Bonus miles will be awarded to your account within 6-8 weeks of your purchase. Bonus miles do not count toward Premier status qualification.
Get 50% Off (Up to $95) on CLEAR Purchases with American Express
Select AmEx cardmembers can claim 50% off a CLEAR membership — up to $95 off. Check your AmEx offers to see if you’ve been selected. Note that The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express cardholders already get the full CLEAR membership fee reimbursed on their card, so these cardmembers likely won’t see this offer. This promotion runs until August 23, 2022.
This offer can be combined with the previous promotion. In other words, MileagePlus and MileagePlus Premier members can get 10,000 or 15,000 points for $59.50 or $54.50 respectively.
Past CLEAR new membership promotions
Over the past few years, CLEAR has offered several membership promotions. For reference, here are some that we’ve seen:
- Anyone could claim a free 6-month CLEAR membership in December 2020
- 5,000 bonus United miles in November 2021
- $100 United TravelBank credit in February 2022
- $75 Uber Credit Promotion in early 2022
- Free 1-Year CLEAR Membership with $100 United Spend Promotion in April 2022
Not everyone wants to release their biometric data when signing up for CLEAR. But for those who are considering getting a CLEAR membership, or already have one, these are certainly nice promotions to take advantage of, especially if you’re claiming your membership with full credits. Everyone has their own opinions of CLEAR, but I found it quite useful the two times I used their security lines.