The Capital One Walmart Rewards Card offers generous rewards for Walmart shoppers. This is especially true for customers who take advantage of the big retailer’s online, app, and grocery pickup/delivery options.
You’re a good match if you’re a Walmart regular who isn’t stuck on shopping at the store in person. The best ongoing rewards this card offers are for purchases made with Walmart via its online store, the app, or its grocery pickup or delivery service. That said, if you’re willing to use Walmart Pay (the chain’s smartphone payment app), you can earn the highest rate of rewards this card offers—5% back—on purchases made in brick-and-mortar Walmart stores for 12 months.
However, you should know before applying that Walmart may automatically consider you for the Walmart Rewards Card—a store credit card—if your credit isn’t good enough to qualify for the Capital One Walmart Rewards Card. This means you could apply for this general rewards card and get stuck with a store credit card with a lower rewards value.
- Good rewards earning rate
- Flexible rewards program
- Mediocre ongoing rewards in brick-and-mortar stores
- Limited new cardholder bonus
- Good rewards earning rate: Though rewards-earning rates vary based on what purchase you’re making with the card, the Capital One Walmart Rewards card offers a competitive rate of return overall than other store-branded credit cards.
- Flexible rewards program: This card has multiple redemption options. You can use your rewards to cover purchases made on Walmart’s online store or for statement credits, gift cards, or travel.
- Mediocre ongoing rewards in brick-and-mortar stores: While you can earn 5% back on in-store Walmart purchases for 12 months, this perk applies only if you use Walmart Pay. You’ll only earn 2% back on Walmart in-store purchases after that.
- Limited new cardmember bonus: For the first year, you get 5% off Walmart Pay purchases in-store. Other store-branded cards provide gift card bonuses, a temporary rewards boost on all purchases or various financing options.
Capital One Walmart Rewards Card Bonus for New Cardholders
For the first 12 months you own the card, anytime you use Walmart Pay in-person at a Walmart store, you’ll earn 5% on your purchases. This rate is more than double what you’d normally get by making a purchase at a brick-and-mortar Walmart. There is no cap on rewards in this offer.
To earn the bonus, you’ll need to download the Walmart Pay app to your cellphone and connect your Capital One Walmart Rewards Card.
If you do all of your grocery shopping at Walmart and you use Walmart Pay every, current data indicates you can earn more than $130 from the welcome bonus.
Earning Points & Rewards
Earning rewards is pretty straightforward. You’ll get:
- 5% back on Walmart.com, purchases made with the Walmart app, and on Walmart grocery pickup and delivery
- 2% back at Walmart stores, Walmart and Murphy USA fuel stations, restaurants, and on travel purchases
- 1% back on everything else
Also, you’ll earn 5% back in Walmart brick-and-mortar stores for 12 months when you pay with Walmart Pay.
How much you can earn depends on how much you spend in the higher-earning categories and on other purchases. However, it’s easy to imagine how you could maximize this card’s rewards with grocery spending alone.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average American household spends $4,942 on groceries annually.1 If you purchased the same amount of groceries through Walmart pickup and paid with the Capital One Walmart Rewards Card, you would earn 5% back on those purchases—or $247.10 in rewards per year.
The Capital One Walmart Rewards Card lets you redeem rewards in several ways:
- Pay for online purchases made at Walmart.com
- Redeem them for previous purchases, statement credits, or gift cards
- Redeem them for travel through the Walmart/Capital One travel portal for 1 cent per point
You track and manage your points through your account online or through Capital One’s banking app.
How to Get the Most Out of This Card
Use the Capital One Walmart Rewards Card for all your Walmart purchases, including grocery pickup and delivery. Also, download the Walmart Pay app and load your Capital One Rewards Card on it so you can earn 5% back on in-store purchases for the first 12 months.
Your points are worth 1 cent each, however you decide to redeem them, according to The Balance’s calculations. You can collect as many as you like and they won’t expire as long as your account is open.
J.D. Power gave Capital One the Third spot out of 11 in its 2021 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study. Capital One received a score of 815 which was slightly above average.2
Capital One also offers a highly-rated mobile app. It scored third out of 10 in the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Credit Card Mobile App Satisfaction Study, behind Chase and Bank of America.3 You can pay your bill, view your balance, track your rewards, and more through the app. You also may want to download the Walmart app since this card gives you 5% back on in-app purchases.
The Capital One Walmart Rewards Card comes with industry-standard security features including zero liability, security alerts, and a card lock feature you can use to temporarily lock your card if you lose it.
Capital One Walmart Rewards Card Fees to Watch Out For
The Capital One Walmart Rewards Card is fairly light on fees. You can even use this card for international purchases without paying foreign transaction fees.