American Express Membership Rewards recently launched a new promotion giving cardmembers a 40% bonus when transferring Membership Rewards points to British Airways Executive Club Avios or Aer Lingus Club Avios. The promotion is valid on transfers through May 15, 2022, and the minimum transfer is 1,000 points.
- Receive a 40% bonus when you transfer Membership Rewards points to British Airways or Aer Lingus Avios.
- The bonus is valid on transfers through May 15, 2022.
- With the promotion, receive 1,400 Avios for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points you transfer.
- The maximum Avios that can be received in a single transfer is 999,000 Avios.
- The minimum transfer is 1,000 Membership Rewards points.
- Tranfers must be made in increments of 1,000 points.
- This promotion may be targeted so you need to log into your account to see if it is available to you.
Best Uses For Avios
There are many sweet spots when using Avios, especially since you can now transfer Aviso between British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus, and Qatar. Some sweet spots include:
- Hawaii for 10k points: Flights from the west coast of the US to Hawaii booked via the British Airways Executive Club cost 13,000 Avios one way plus taxes and fees. With the promotion, you only need to transfer 10k Membership Rewards points.
- Ireland for 10k points: Book off-peak one-way economy awards from the east coast of the US to Ireland for 13,000 Avios plus taxes and fees via AerClub. That requires just a 10k points transfer.
- Business class to India for 58k points: Booking via Qatar Privilege Club — One-way business class on Qatar metal from the U.S. to India for 80,000 Avios one-way plus taxes and fees. With the promotion, you need to transfer just 58k Membership Rewards points — which is an incredible value!
- Business class to Europe for 25k points: Booking via Iberia Plus — one-way off-peak business class from the east coast (NY and Boston) to Madrid will set you back 34,000 Avios plus taxes and fees. With the transfer bonus, that is just 25k Membership Rewards points for a transatlantic business class award!
Is it Worth It
If you are looking to book a specific award with Avios, you are in luck. This promotion can slash the number of points needed to book that award. This is especially true if you are looking at taking advantage of this promotion and then using Avios via the Qatar Privilege Club.
That being said, if you don’t have a specific redemption in mind, it is not worth taking advantage of the promotion. Transferring points speculatively is never recommended since the loss of flexibility, and the risk of devaluation make the transfer too risky. You are better off holding your credit card points as they are until you have a specific use for them.
Membership Rewards Transfer Bonus Timeline
Membership Rewards transfer bonuses to British Airways and Aer Lingus are commonplace. Historically, you can expect one or two transfers per year. Below is a timeline of transfer bonuses from Membership Rewards to Avios:
- 40% transfer bonus from December 2014 – January 2015 — British Airways Avios (1,000 points = 1,400 Avios)
- 50% transfer bonus from August-October 2016 — British Airways Avios (1,000 points = 1,200 Avios)
- 50% transfer bonus from December 2016 — Iberia Avios (1,000 points = 1,200 Avios)
- 40% transfer bonus from July-September 2017 — British Airways + Iberia Avios (1,000 points = 1,400 Avios)
- 40% transfer bonus from September-November 2018 — Aer Lingus + British Airways + Iberia Avios (1,000 points = 1,400 Avios)
- 40% transfer bonus from August-October 2019 — Aer Lingus + British Airways + Iberia Avios (1,000 points = 1,400 Avios)
Understandably, during the Covid pandemic in 2020 and 2021, most activities stopped with the huge global reduction in travel due to the worldwide travel restrictions.
Other Transfer Bonuses Available Now
This great transfer bonus isn’t the only one available right now. You can also score the following bonuses:
- 25% Transfer Bonus From Citi ThankYou Points to LifeMiles through April 30, 2022.
- 25% Transfer Bonus From Chase to Flying Blue (Air France/KLM) through May 15, 2022.
- 25% Transfer Bonus From Membership Rewards To Marriott Bonvoy through May 31, 2022.
For the latest transfer bonuses, check out AwardWallet’s transfer tool. You’ll see all of the options for transferring points and the most up-to-date transfer bonus information.
If your travel plans dovetail with a transfer bonus, then the travel gods are smiling upon you, and this promotion can save you a ton of points. Taking advantage of this promotion will take some planning due to the many programs you can transfer Avios between and the sheer number of award sweet spots that exist.
You are best served to take a minute or two to look at your travel goals and plans and see if you can make this transfer bonus work for you — even if it means transferring your points a couple of times. But remember, as mentioned earlier, never transfer your points speculatively regardless of how good the deal is!